Law Firm Open Days
Have you been invited to attend law firm open days or are you just curious to find out more about what a law firm open day might involve? This page aims to provide you with everything you need to know should you wish to apply for or attend such an event.
See Open Day Deadlines
What are a Law Firm Open Days?
A law firm open day does what it says on the tin! It provides an invaluable opportunity to spend a day in a law firm. You will be introduced to experienced lawyers, trainees and graduate recruitment representatives alike and will experience first hand the law firm’s working environment and general ethos and culture.
What Do a Law Firm Open Days Involve?
The day may include any number of activities including:
- A presentation of the firm’s different practice areas and associated work
- An opportunity to discuss the firm’s vacation scheme and/or training contract recruitment processes with representatives from the firm
- An opportunity to gain practical advice and tips on making an applications for a vacation scheme and/or training contract
- A tour of the offices
- An insight into the firm’s solicitors and trainees experiences of the firm
- Participation in skills based workshops (which may include workshops on negotiating, commercial awareness or networking for example)
- Shadowing a trainee
What are the Benefits of Law Firm Open Days?
See Open Day Deadlines
- They provide you with a great insight into the legal profession and associated work
- They are an excellent way of gauging, early on, whether a career at that particular firm is the right fit for you
- They allow you to broaden your network and make valuable links and contacts with graduate recruitment and experienced lawyers alike
- The experience gained during an open day can be used to reinforce your CV and future vacation scheme and training contract applications with that particular firm and applications more generally
When Should I Apply for Law Firm Open Days?
For law firms that run open days, they may well take place at various points throughout the calendar year. Click on our law firm open day calendar to find out more about up and coming events.
Before applying, make sure you establish, for each law firm open day, who is eligible to apply. Some firms now offer open days specifically to first year undergraduates, for example, so be sure to double check eligibility before investing the time in making an application.
Step by Step Guide to Securing Law Firm Open Days
Step 1 – Choosing a Law Firm
Before making your law firm open day applications think carefully about where you want to apply.
Factors to consider when deciding where to apply for law firm open days include:
- Do your interests lie mainly in commercial law or private client-type law?
- Do you wish to practice in a large global firm or a smaller scale national firm?
- Where would you like to complete law firm open days?
After you have weighed up the various factors, you can start to build your law firm ‘hit list.’ You can then start drilling down into the detail, by researching:
- The law firm’s main clients
- Recent deals or cases they have worked on
- Any influential lawyers in the firm
- Any other interesting facts of note
By conducting thorough research, you can tailor your law firm open day applications as necessary ensuring you are applying to law firms that are right for you. Note: law firms are not interested in generic applications, a commitment to and an understanding of their particular firm and working is a must.
Step 2 – Research Law Firm Open Days
Visit our Law Firm Open Day Calendar to find out more about open days currently available, with direct links to application forms and deadline information.
Step 3 – Submit Open Day Applications
The law firm open day application process is very similar to the process involved in applying for training contracts (with similar application forms and questions). As such, click on our Training Contract Application page to find out more about how the overall law firm application process works with top tips for completing application forms.
Step 4 – Attending Law Firm Open Day Interviews
The law firm open day interview process is slightly less rigorous than the process involved involved in interviewing for training contracts and possibly even vacation schemes. If you are required to be interviewed as part of the application process, it will most likely be a video or telephone interview – click on the links to find out more: Telephone Interview and Video Interview.
Step 5 – Being Made an Offer
If, following submission of your application and any subsequent interviews you have sufficiently impressed, you may be asked to attend the law firm open day. Then it’s up to you as to whether you accept the offer!
Top Tips for Attending Law Firm Open Days
To stand out from the crowd for all the right reasons, you should ensure that you:
- Arrive on the day in a timely manner – a polite way of saying don’t be late!
- Avoid using your personal mobile phone during the day
- Demonstrate professionalism at all times, whether you are chatting to law firm representatives or listening to presentations
- Demonstrate enthusiasm whenever possible during the day. Never underestimate the power of this!
- Be friendly and approachable – and don’t be afraid to say hello. You only have today to make an impression!
- Demonstrate inquisitiveness. Ask relevant and carefully constructed questions to demonstrate engagement and interest. You may want to make a list of sensible questions in preparation for the day.
- Dress smartly and appropriately!
- Carry a notebook and pen to take any relevant notes from the day. You don’t want to forget a thing!
- If possible, read up on any law firm representative who you know will be present. Being able to discuss their past work will help to build rapport and show you’re keen!
- Show off your skills where possible! Be mindful of the qualities law firms are looking for in you. To find out more, click on What Makes a Good Lawyer?
See Open Day Deadlines
- Finally, stay in touch! If there were partners, associates, trainees or members of graduate recruitment you built up a good rapport with, drop them a line of thanks following the law firm open day