Training Contract Telephone Interview
Following submission of a successful training contract application, you may be invited to attend a training contract telephone interview. This is usually a preliminary stage which allows recruiters to assess whether they wish to invite you in for a more formal and detailed face to face interview.
Training Contract Telephone Interview: Building Rapport
Unlike face to face interviews and Skype-based online interviews, you will not be able to physically see your interviewer in a training contract telephone interview. This arguably creates more of a challenge in terms of building rapport. Customary interview techniques of eye contact, physical movement and animation cannot be employed to connect with the interviewer over the phone.
As a result, it’s important to think about alternative techniques you can use to build rapport during your training contract telephone interview, which may include:
- Establishing whether there is any common ground between you and the interviewer which can be used in a way to positively engage with them.
- Smiling! Even though your interviewer won’t be able to see you, smiling will help to relax you. This will in turn help you to feel and come across in a more confident and responsive manner during the interview.
- Keeping notes to a minimum. Do take advantage of being able to have notes available, but limit them to a page so you are not distracted by reams of paper during the interview. Such distraction is likely to interrupt conversation flow, thereby eroding the rapport.
Training Contract Telephone Interview: Preparation
Telephone interviews are frequently used as a way of initially whittling down candidate numbers. As such, interviews tend to be shorter as compared with face to face interviews for example. That being said, it is vital NOT to skimp on preparation for this type of training contract interview. Thorough research and preparation is vital even at this early stage in the process.
What Will I be Asked at a Training Contract Interview?
For an idea of what you might be asked during your interview, you can visit our page on Training Contract Interview Questions.
Training Contract Telephone Interview: Top Tips
When the day of your training contract telephone interview finally arrives, here are our top tips to do well:
- Employ our suggested techniques for building rapport.
- Find a quiet area where you will not be disrupted.
- Have your relevant application form/CV and a few brief notes to hand should you need to refer to them.
- Speak clearly and concisely – after all, you only have your voice to rely on!
- Seek clarification where necessary. It’s far better to do that than to respond to a question off point.
- Pause to consider questions before diving in with a response. The interviewer will expect and appreciate this.
- Round off the telephone interview in a positive and constructive manner, thanking the interviewer for their time.
Training Contract and Vacation Scheme Conference
Receive firsthand advice on applying for training contracts and vacation schemes at our conference – and tickets are free!
Book Your Conference Ticket Now!